Thursday, March 8, 2007

Do you ever feel....

Do you ever feel that at times that you should never open your mouth and let words out. Well I feel like that at the moment. I said to a friend that there was a job vacancy and that I would apply for it and hey presto they have too, and then you don't see any reason to apply as they have more qualifications than you. I know it sounds petty and small minded but that is just how I feel.

What about when you say something and you wish you hadn't said a thing, man gossip feels good at the time, but it can come right back to you and take a nice swipe at you. You feel guilty and ashamed as you know that was not what God would intend for you to do to the people around you. It is so easy to get caught up in the moment and let your mouth run way ahead of logical thinking.

I know that I feel guilty today as I have participated in gossip and it feels horrible and I wish I had not said what I did. My new aim is to keep my mouth in check and think before I speak, as I know that I would hate people talking about me. I've just got to remember how I feel if someone gossips about me, is how they must feel too.

1 comment:

SZ said...

My sister has a similar problem with a cousin of her husband. All his cousins have children about the same age. She's had it happen twice with one particular cousin. Once smy sister told this cousin what she wanted to name her baby when she was pregnant and the cousin (also pregnant but due a few months prior to my sister) used the name when her son was born. My sister was obviously hurt. A few years later, my sister also confided in this same cousin about plans for a birthday party for her daughter. Same cousin stole my sister's ideas for a party a month prior to my niece's birthday. Since all the cousins are invited to each others birthday party, my sister felt she had to come up with another idea so it didn't look like she was copying. In a way, these things were kind of good because my sister and I had the chance to talk about them. I told her it could bother me less if she named any of her children with names that I had used -- I have no copyright on the names. Besides, our kids have different last names and most likely would never go to the same school. My sister ended up using two middle names I used with my boys for her son's name and everything turned out fine. As far as the birthday party goes, she and I brainstormed even a better party idea. I guess it's a good lesson in who to confide in....

Any chance you could still apply for the position? Your friend may be more qualified than you, but perhaps the company cannot afford to pay your friend the salary he/she requires. And, if nothing else, it's a good exercise in going through the application and interview process so when the next job comes along, you are even more familiar with the process. God wants you to learn something from all this (maybe perserverence too?) and it sounds like he's got your attention.